Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Budget Friendly Tips: Grocery Style


So many of the people I know have been trying to cut down their budgets lately. In response to this, I've compiled a list of ways to do this. One of the major areas of our budget up until last fall was our food budget. It's been tricky, but with some planning and care, I've managed to spend no more than $120 on grocery shopping each month. This includes food for Mark and me, but also at least one weekly meal to feed fellow missionaries at the Opportunity Center. Here are some of the ways that I do it:



1) Go to the library. My local library has a phenomenal selection of cookbooks, including books dedicated strictly to healthy, inexpensive recipes. Most of these books offer tips and tricks of their own on how to cut back on spending, but just having a good selection of recipes in your arsenal is helpful. The more you know how to cook, the more creative you can be.


Cookbook suggestions:






Not only is this book adorable, it also houses tons of great healthy recipes, ranging from vegan to carnivorous-- and all equally appealing! My favorite? Ramen Noodle Stir-Fry!
















This was one of my first cookbooks. I love it, mostly because the recipes are great and they make less servings, which means less wasted food. There is a good selection in this book, including a whole section dedicated to meatless meals. My recipe pick: Goujons With Garlic Mayonnaise.











2) Meal Plan. I've been told that my kitchen is run like a cafeteria. Why? Because each time I go grocery shopping, I make a structured list of everything we will cook in the coming month. I hate grocery shopping, so I only do it once a month. This might sound unnecessarily rigorous, but it actually frees us up to do things besides cook and decide what we will eat that night. I'm also able to better gauge what I'll spend, which leads me to the next tip.


3) Shop Smart. I keep all of my grocery lists, receipts, and a copy of meal plans in one notebook. It is my jumping off point for meal planning (it helps me remember what I cooked last month). It is a good base for my shopping list (I can see what needs to be purchased for the recipes I'll prepare), and it helps me know how much I'll spend (I can add it up more precisely, because my receipts and item prices are right in front of me.) You can use this notebook to record and store coupons, too, though I am not much of a coupon-er at all.


4) Don't Stress About Luxuries. What I mean by this is, if there is something that you enjoy, don't think that you have to cut it out of your budget completely. Sometimes, you can learn how to make it yourself or find it somewhere for less money than anticipated.


Most of all, learn to crave efficiency. By doing this, you'll save money, time, and stress!

No comments: